CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 8, 2009

after 25 years...

On May 4th Bill and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. It doesn't seem like that much time has passed, but then we think about our kids, who are now adults and of course, time has passed. We went out to dinner and talked about how much we love our life and our family. We are so proud of each of our kids and who they are. We have got great boys that are just nice people. It is fun to be around each of them and our best days are when we can be with them and their families. Certainly it's harder when they live so far away, but we constantly look forward to the time we can go and spend time with each of them. We also talked about how happy we are together, we talk about this often in fact. There have been rough times over the years. Sometimes we wondered if we would make it. But there is staying power in these covenants we make that go beyond this earth life and it's challenges. (if you want to know more click here) One of the things I hope we have taught our kids is that when the going gets tough, hang on and don't give up, keep living what and how you know to be right, pray and do all the other things that we have taught them. It may be easier to walk away, but it isn't usually the best way. Honor the covenants you have made, work hard and hold on.

So, if you know me, you probably know that I LOVE the movie Fiddler on the Roof. I love everything about it. The morning of our anniversary that song that Tev sang to Golde'. "Do You Love Me", you know the one, popped into my head. Now I know there are some differences. We don't have daughters getting married (does a niece count?), there is no trouble in our town, (just in the whole country), I don't think he's upset, he can't come inside or go lie down (he's currently mowing our lawn that takes 2+ hours to mow). He might have indigestion. Sometimes he acts like a fool, but only for fun. Yes I know, it's sounding more and more like there isn't much we have in common with this song (I have been trying for weeks to just get the short part of this song in a format I could post, to no avail). For 25 years I've washed his clothes, (well, he's been doing his own laundry for I can't remember how long), cooked his meals, (well, most nights), I've cleaned the house (we clean it together now) we did raise three boys, I haven't milked his cow (does a goat count?) Well, there are some similarities, right? We didn't meet for the first time on our wedding day (we had known each other 4 months). I was feeling a little shy, I don't know about him, nervous, maybe. I know I was. His parents were at our wedding, but I think they figured he already loved me, neither my mom or my dad were there. For 25 years I've lived with him, fought with him (should I admit that :), we haven't starved. For 25 years my bed is his; if that's not love, what is? "Tev: Then you love me?, Golde: "I suppose I do. Tev: Then I suppose I love you too.

It doesn't change a thing, but even so, after 25 years... it's nice to know.

Oh, did I mention, we are singing this every day of our 25th year...just for fun.

5 comments:

Cathy Lloyd said...

Congratulations Luell and Bill! 25 is a great number and you've done well!

Paige said...

I have great memories of watching you sing songs from Fiddler on the Roof in our basement when I was much younger. The whole time I was reading this I couldn't get that image out of my head! Congratulations on 25 years! Kenny and I just celebrated 5 years and I thought that sounded like a lot!

Patti said...

Congratulations..... LOVED this post and we love both of you.

Brooke said...

What happy thoughts. And I love that you are singing it every day! I hope your 25th year is your best one yet!

Aline Patiño said...

Hi!!, I found your blogg looking for the song from the fiddler on the roof; I'm mexican, and I've been married for only a year, and believe me, when I read stories like yours, it makes me feel hope, that in 25 years I'm gonna be as happy as you look (read).

Congratulations, you're a very lucky woman, and I bet your husband is even luckier...