CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's fall on the Oregon Coast, well, it's fall everywhere, but you know what I mean. I love it! Last Saturday, oops, I guess it was the Saturday before that, anyway, Bill was outside to pull in the last of the branches and finally burn the pile that has been gathering all summer long. We can officially burn our burn pile. It's just one of the fall things we do here after we get our first good rain, and boy did we have it. I can't believe I'm actually saying it, but it was kind of nice for a change. Seriously, did I just admit that the rain was kind of nice? I'll reevaluate later this winter after our first 30". Anyway, back to "the burn".

I'm not sure Bill likes me taking his picture while he is out doing his normal stuff. He just doesn't get the whole blog thing yet, but he's coming around. Besides, he is the major thing that makes my life so good, so he has to let me, right??? So here are two more pictures of the man at work and his fire.
It actually got really, really tall, but I had to run to town and missed it. I think Lane, Shay and Todd, three of my nephews, could really get into this. I hear they love doing monster fires. I kind of like it too, though it seems I rarely have time to just go out and sit and watch it burn, when it finally dies down enough to enjoy it. I've been trying to get a fire pit in my yard for years now, don't have one yet, but we will some day. Until then, we have the fall burn, and I love it.

Here is another reason I love fall here.



Mutsu Apples! I love Mutsu apples. They are crisp and tart, but not too tart. I love them! Here is the whole tree.

Something happened to another of our apple trees (we have 3), but we can't figure it out. Bill thinks it was 50 mph winds we had a few weeks ago. I think it was either a bear or elk trying to eat the apples, which happens every year.


I don't know if you can see this or not, but a whole branch is broken and just hanging there. I'm sure some large animal was either leaning on it to get higher, or climbed up and thought it would hold his 500 lb bear body, who knows, but we lost a big limb. Honestly, we don't take great care of these trees, I keep forgetting to get someone in here in January that can prune it and spray it for blight, or whatever apples get. We really need to do better, cause they are yummy. Why don't you all come visit next October and have one!

6 comments:

Julie M. said...

I totally forgot you have a blog! I promise to read more often! What a fire, and Lane would've loved it! And Lane's the same about pictures too. But I love having some, okay a ton! I feel like we haven't seen you in a long time! However, it looks like we may see Dave and Amanda for Thanksgiving! :)

Brooke said...

Those apples look fabulous! I love fall, too. Tonight is our annual pumpkin carving party. Wish you could come!

Patti said...

It's 91 degrees right now.... I think we might see the police if we started a fire. Enjoy that cool weather, and did you actually say something good about the weather? What's up Luell?

Libby said...

It all looks like fun to me. Your apple pic looks amazing.

Chris & Stephanie said...

Hi Luell! I need to add you to my friend list so I remember to check in on your adorable blog!

Glad all is well in beautiful Florence!

Take care!

Stephanie

Rockin' the Rubber Room said...

Hi Luell. Thanks for stopping my blog "From the Rubber Room." I'm glad you found my "You Only Live Once" post. Unfortunately, the last time I saw that poster was somewhere in the early to mid 1980's - I haven't ever seen another one. It's a pretty nice motto, though!